Glaucoma is a category of eye diseases that can damage the optic nerve and cause progressive and irreversible vision loss and blindness. The optic nerve is a bundle of nerve fibers that transmit visual signals from the eye to the brain. Increased eye pressure, family history of glaucoma, history of eye trauma, African or Latino heritage and increased age are risk factors for damage from glaucoma.
Often there are no symptoms during the early stages of this disease. A comprehensive eye exam with Dr. Bryan Kim, our Glaucoma specialist, can help detect glaucoma and while there is no cure, diagnosis and treatment can help prevent further loss of vision. Treatment may include medications, laser procedures or surgical intervention.
Diagnosis and Monitoring:
- Eye pressure monitoring
- Visual field testing
- Optic nerve imaging with Optical Coherence Tomography
- Optic nerve photography
- Glaucoma medication management
- Selective laser trabeculoplasty
- Laser peripheral iridotomy
- Cataract extraction
- Minimally invasive glaucoma surgery (iStent, Trabectome)
- Glaucoma tube shunt surgery