The American Podiatric Medical Association offers these tips for caring for your feet this summer. Visit our expert podiatry team to care for your feet so you can enjoy an active summer. We also offer custom orthotics for healthy, comfy footwear. Call us 7 am to 7 pm at 425-339-5407 most days this summer. Seeing patients in Everett and Smokey Point.
Five tips for happy summer feet:
- Limit walking barefoot -- It exposes feet to sunburn, as well as plantar warts, athlete's foot, ringworm, and other infections and increases risk of injury to your feet.
- Wear shoes or flip-flops at the pool, beach, or locker room to prevent injuries and limit the risk of bacterial infections.
- Apply sunscreen to your feet. Protect your feet from sunburn, especially the tops and fronts of ankles, and reapply sunscreen after you've been in the water.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day to minimize foot swelling.
- Wiggle your toes, flex your ankles, and stretch your calves to keep blood flowing in your feet.
For more info about keeping feet healthy, read “All Toes on Deck: Tips for Protecting Feet from the Heat” via the American Podiatric Medical Association.